Apart from surgical and non-surgical hair treatment methods, you can also take medication to help combat the effects of hair loss. After a thorough assessment by our doctors to help determine the best hair restoration for you, occasionally medication is found an advisable treatment and a medical prescription is given either to reduce the hair loss effects in general, slow down the rate of loss or treat the ailing regions.
Types of Medicine for Treating Hair LossThere are a range of medicines that are prescribed to patients depending on the severity of hair thinning or loss. For cases where the hair loss is caused by an infection in the skin or hair follicles, medication is prescribed to eliminate the disease. Some of the medications used to treat causes of hair loss include:
1. Minoxidil (Regaine):This is the most common “over-the-counter” drug that is approved for use by both men and women in the treatment of hair loss. The medicine comes in a liquid state and is applied to the scalp of the head, using your hands. The first application usually leads to a partial shedding of hair, but as you continue to apply the medication, you will start to notice growth of new hair. The medicine will result in the growth of new hair within 6 months and you will need to continue applying the medication to maintain the benefits. Possible side effects from the use of this drug include rapid heart rate, irritation of the scalp as well as the possible unwanted growth of hair on the side of the face.
2. Finasteride (Propecia)This medication is for men that experience baldness. The medicine works by lowering the levels of the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) hormone. DHT is responsible for the shrinking of hair follicles. The medicine is to be taken daily as a pill and causes the slowing down of the balding process by at least 88%. It also boosts the growth of new hair by at least 66%. You are expected to keep using the drugs to maintain the hair growth pattern and slow down the process of balding. This drug is only effective for men who are under 60 years of age. Possible side effects for the drug include diminished sex drive.
3. Other Forms of MedicineOther forms of medication that can be used include oral contraceptives and spironolactone for the women and dutasteride for men. Contact us today to book a free consultation or fill in the online assessment form and a member of our team will get back to you. We have the highest quality solutions for hair loss and we’ll create a treatment plan that suits you best. The result will be enhanced appearance and a boost in confidence.
Tests Carried Out Before PrescriptionsDiagnosis is first administered by our doctors after they carry out a physical examination and find out more about your medical background – complete with your family history. Some of the tests that will be carried out before any medication for hair loss treatment include:
- Pull test: this is the physical pulling of hair to determine how much hair can easily be pulled out. This will help the doctor determine the level of the hair thinning and shedding you are currently undergoing.
- Blood test: this is the routine blood test where a sample withdrawn from the body is subjected to a range of tests to establish if there are any unique conditions within your blood that lead to hair loss.
- Light microscopy: this is the examination of the hair follicle strands for any possible disorders at the base of the roots.
- Scalp biopsy: this involves an examination of the scalp where the doctor obtains samples either from the scalp or from the base of the roots that have been pulled out. This helps the doctor identify if there is an infection or skin condition with the scalp that leads to hair loss.
Modern, Cosmetic, Hair & Skin Clinic
What Our Clients Say
“I was excited to hear of a more natural treatment for my receding hair. Dr Saaed is a brilliant hair specialist who was recommended to me by a friend. He suggested platelet rich plasma PRP injection. His injecting technique is extremely smooth. I hardly felt a thing and the session was rather relaxing. The location is great and the treatment room was lovely. Can’t wait to see the results!”